Asheville Filmmaker Mixer
What is this and what is the purpose?
This is a once-a-month collaboration between AVLFilm.com, Cat Fly Film Fest and The Asheville Studio. The idea is for our three groups to pool our collective experience and bring filmmakers together in a fun way that benefits the entire film community here through:
- Networking opportunities to meet and work with new film folk
- A variety of experiences to keep people engaged and coming back
- Learning opportunities
- Just the fun of meeting new people
But we want to hear from you! Contact AVLFilm on Facebook and tell us.
This has been attempted before - why will this one succeed?
Glad you asked. A number of reasons!
- Primarily, we've thought through this exact question, and have the experience from previous filmmaker mixers to learn from. We also talked to the creator of NC Film Forum to learn their history
- We have a regular venue with our partner, The Asheville Studio
- With simple meet & greets, though fun, attendance tends to fizzle after a couple months. Therefore...
- We intend to offer valuable experiences to encourage people to come back. This is still in the planning stage, but think guest speakers, film history, screenings - that sort of thing (tell us!)
Sold. When & where is it and what is the format?
The third Monday of each month at The Asheville Studio, from 6:00pm to 8:00, starting in August 2018. Which is:
- August 20, 2018: First one!
- September 17, 2018: Panel discussion on communicating with actors
- October 15, 2018: Audio workshop
- November 12, 2018: Table reads (second Monday due to Thanksgiving)
December 10, 2018: Holiday party!(cancelled due to weather)
- January 21, 2019: Party!
- February 18, 2019: Understanding Depth of Field for a Technical and Creative Perspective
- March 18, 2019: Casting tips from a Casting Director
- May 20, 2019: Getting into film festivals
See our events on Facebook. As for the format:
- 30m: Mingle
- 45m: Speaker/Presentation/Workshop (won't be a 45m commercial)
- 15m: Announcements (Here you can announce if you're looking for help on a project. You can also submit announcements to the front desk as you walk in.)
- 30m: Mingle
Events will be held at The Asheville Studio, which is right next to Highland Brewing. 12 Old Charlotte Hwy, Suite 80.
Who should attend?
Anyone working in OR trying to break into the professional filmmaking scene. Production Assistants, make-up artists, sound mixers, set dressers, location managers, actors, producers, directors, writers, editors, etc. are all invited to mix and mingle in the pursuit of networking for work and learning more about the industry and opportunities in WNC.